Saturday 3 September 2022

Tiny Bugs That Jump When You Try to Kill Them May Be Springtails

Springtails are tiny bugs that love moist areas (your kitchen sink, bathtub or swimming pool). They jump when disturbed. So if you try to kill them, it will appear that they are jumping as a response to that.

Springtails are harmless.

But because of their nature to congregate (it is not uncommon to see thousands in damp places or on rotting wood), they can appear fearsome at worst and a nuisance at best.

While it is common to find springtails outdoors, they tend to move inside the home as their natural conditions outside become drier.

Springtails

We received this email in May of 2004.

Subject – Flea like bugs that jump but are not fleas

Dear Bugman

I have these flea-like bugs in the thousands that thrive on my outside window sills (which are rotten and soon to be replaced) but these nasty little guys have found their way into my house!

And every night I have to do a mad spree of “containing” them (trust me, I don’t even pick flowers because I don’t believe in hurting living things! But these guys are smushed habitually! if they don’t jump away first!).

They are found all over my blinds, on all window ledges and even on my baseboards next to the floor. They seem to like crevices.

They are about the size of a flea, rather flat, and long, and jump like a flea but do not have an exoskeleton. They are grey with small antenna. They range in size from tiny almost microscopic to about the size of an adult flea maybe a tiny bit larger (the largest ones that is). Their size is rather inconsistent.

They stay rather motionless until you knock where they are standing and then they all scatter and/or jump. There are thousands on the outside of my windows and i usually kill at least a hundred per night. They seem to come out more at night.

They really gross me out and I even found a few on my pillow lately, as my bed backs up to a window…gross!!! My two exterminators over the last three years have no idea what they are. I live in Alabama.

Do you have any idea what these could be? Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

I found you through google by searching “flea like bugs that jump but are not fleas”!!! Can’t believe I got any hits from that!

My biggest fear is that I replace my windows (which has to be done anyhow, they’re 65 years old) and they will still be here, cause they’re on my baseboards too! Yuck! Thanks you so much for your time and knowledge.

Anna

Hi Anna,

I’m guessing Springtails, primitive insects from the Order Collembola. They can get extremely plentiful and like damp conditions. We have a page devoted to them. Go to the left side of the www.whatsthatbug.com homepage and click Springtails in the alphabatized list. Sorry, we don’t have extermination advice, but at least now you know what they are.

The post Tiny Bugs That Jump When You Try to Kill Them May Be Springtails appeared first on What's That Bug?.



No comments:

Post a Comment