Saturday 2 October 2021

Gopher making tunnels in garden

Subject:  Gopher digging in my herb garden
Geographic location of the bug:  Mount Washington, Los Angeles, California
Date: 09/02/2021
Time: 02:19 PM PDT
Your letter to the bugman:  Dear Bugman,
I don’t need an identification and this Gopher is not really a Bug but I see you have a rodent section, so I thought I would send it and tell you how I deal with the gopher.  At first I was upset that the gopher was tunneling in my garden, but I realized it was aerating the soil and providing me with nice piles of dirt on the surface that I could use elsewhere in the garden.  I am always moving dirt around, and so is the gopher.  I made peace with the little critter despite the fact that it ate the roots off two of my marijuana plants.
How you want your letter signed:  Constant Gardener

Pocket Gopher

Dear Constant Gardener,
Thanks for sending in your adorable image of a Pocket Gopher.  We applaud your stoicism toward this fascinating creature.  Most folks would try to rid the garden of a native creature.

Hi again Bugman,
While I am not thrilled to have lost two plants, I believe they were in the gopher’s way and not targeted food.  Next year I might try building cages from chicken wire to keep the gophers away from the roots.

The post Gopher making tunnels in garden appeared first on What's That Bug?.



No comments:

Post a Comment